Wednesday, February 20, 2013

bloody nose


I shake awake to a blood smeared pillowcase
And the sound of drunk girls laughing on their way home from the bars
On a Friday night
Paralyzed from a dream
I was once trapped in
I am still trying to escape

I flip on a light switch
To the loud rumbling of the broken bathroom fan
I flinch and reach for some toilet paper
To shove up my nose
To ease the flow
And my mind

In the mirror
I see my father’s wrinkles around my eyes
And I shake because I am not a man yet
I am still living in a university owned apartment
Saturated with empty beer cans
And trash
And shit

And I could sink in a tub
Or a chair
Or a bottle
And tell myself I am fine
That it’s not me, it’s my mind
But I am not sure we know the difference

Without Fluoxetine
Disintegrating into dark red blood
Or light blue blood
I can never remember which color it is on the inside

But I know how it looks
Smeared on my upper lip
Or dripping off of frustrated knuckles
Or shot into my eyes

Because it’s been me and the mirror
The past few nights
Or maybe me vs. the mirror
And I am not quite sure
Who is winning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment